Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Countdown: T Minus 2...

Despite my best intentions, I didn't make it to the store again, so today's big project was...squash! Now, I have never tried my hand at cooking squash or pumpkin, but hey, how hard could it be?

Well, for one thing, that bloody little tuber was so hard to cut up, I'm surprised I didn't stab myself, instead.  Finally, after a great deal of huffing, puffing and putting all my weight behind the knife, I managed to quarter that damn thing and then roast it in batches in my baby oven.


And once the hard part was over, it was actually pretty cool. All that luscious roasted pumpkin payoff...I can't wait to see how my Thanksgiving pumpkin soup turns out.

Today, I'm thankful for:

1) Duh, pumpkin! Now that I've overcome my first pumpkin, the possibilities are endless.  Today, pumpkin soup. Tomorrow, the world!  There's pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin bread, pumpkin risotto...tonight I've officially become a pumpkinhead.

2) Possibilities. Sometimes, you get the chance to step out of your comfort zone; sometimes, you're kind of nudged into it.  Either way, it works to make you braver so that you eventually shoot for the stars. Because you realize that even if you fail, the world doesn't actually come to an end.  In fact, you'll probably learn something and then get it right the next time.  And when you succeed...PUMPKIN SOUP!

3) Family.  Mine may be all over the place, both literally and figuratively, but my family is seriously awesome.  Seriously quirky, wacky and disturbed, even. But still, seriously awesome.

4) Hope. Ah, it springs eternal. And if it doesn't, it should. Because sometimes things suck, but they do get better. For example, my Internet service continues to suck, but my mobile phone service has actually improved. Now, I can actually take a call sitting on my couch instead of standing completely motionless in my doorway, because if I so much as blinked, it was buh-bye.

5) Caffeine.  Oh, coffee, there are no words to describe the intensity of my love.  And Nespresso Citiz, my sweet, green little coffee machine, how did I ever live without you? Actually, probably better because your capsules cost a small fortune.  No matter.  I'll just be grateful for instant noodles, too.

Goodnight, everyone. Catch you again tomorrow, Thanksgiving Eve!




No comments:

Post a Comment